Posted on 19 December 2014
At io42.co.uk we often get asked, what is the process we use for developing a website
Below is a list of steps we use to bring your website to market, tried and tested through 15 years of development at places like Amazon and eBay.
- When we get contacted by a potential client our preference is to meet with them to create a brief for the new website, although if not possible we can talk over the phone/Skype to create the document.
The brief includes design ideas, type of business, aims and objectives, SEO targets & ideas for the websites sitemap/structure.
- Our designers then start to design the websites page framework, usually using Photoshop, once we are happy with the design we share this with the client for feedback. We listen to this feedback and make adjustments.
- Once the design has been agreed the website developer then codes the site using development standards in HTML and CSS, and implements a database if necessary.
- Once the code is complete an initial QA will take place, this will be with the project manager to make sure the website meets the brief and with the designer to make sure the developer has got the design right.
- If a content strategy is needed then we can produce this, putting the right content onto your site is important and is part of the SEO process as choosing the right keywords will improve your performance and help you with search engines.
- Once an initial QA check has been done a dedicated QA person will then run testing scripts and perform PEN (penetration) testing over the site which looks for errors, broken links or broken images, they will make sure that it is secure and safe from cross site scripting attacks, and if necessary SQL injection attacks and they will make sure the site is cross browser and platform compatible.
- Once io42.co.uk is happy that the site is to brief and works as desired we put the site on a development platform and allow the client to have a look and do their own QA and testing.
- Once both client and io42.co.uk are happy with the site we make the website live.
- We always add Google analytics to our websites which allows our client to track how well their website is performing.
- It can take 3 months or so for the SEO to take effect so we revisit the site after that period to make sure Google, Bing and Yahoo! etc. are indexing the site.